Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Dress The Color of the Weather

A couple of weeks ago we rented Peau d'âne (1970) ( U.S. title: Donkey Skin) Directed by Jacques Demy. With Catherine Deneuve, Jean Marais, Delphine Seyrig. Demy was also the director of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort, two of my favorite films which I became aware of when I worked at Video Paradiso (cornball name..... great rentals) in Claremont, California.



I am utterly obsessed with the story of Peau d'Ane now. In the story, Peau d'Ane's mother, the Queen dies, and her last dying wish is that her husband never marry again unless the woman is more beautiful than she. Well, as you can guess.... who could possibly be more beautiful than the Queen..... her daughter, Peau d'Ane. Her father wishes to marry Peau d'Ane, so she seeks council from her fairy godmother who advises her that it is unnatural for daughters to marry their fathers.... regardless of whether or not they are king.

She tells Peau d'Ane, in order to avoid marriage with her father, she is to ask her him for the impossible....
to make her a dress the color of the weather.





I will tell you more of the story a bit later.....



3 comments:

Rabbithorns said...

Whoa! Totally cool...more! more!

Jenni said...

I'm eagerly waiting for the next part of the story! It sounds a lot like a fairy tail my grandma used to read to me...a princess who had one dress like the sun, one like the moon, one like the stars, and then a fur coat made of the furs of 100 animals...she was also in hiding though i don't think it was from her father...i could be wrong though. It's been a looooong time! I just remember that she used walnut juice to darken her skin and went and became a scullery maid...I won't tell any more though in case it is a version of the same story!

Anonymous said...

I love the images, beautiful and fanciful
color of the weather.

Feed Me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails