Monday, July 28, 2008

Pumpkinhaus Prims Art Dolls












A couple of weeks ago, I made my niece a pair of semi-traditional Raggedy Ann & Andy dolls for her 2nd birthday (coming up). I used to love to play with my raggedies that my grandmother made for me when I was 2, so I thought this would be a wonderful gift for my little Emma as well!
So, of course, this spurred me to start making a whole family of ragdolls. My absolute favorite medium for dollmaking is fabric, and I have been working so diligently on my soft sculpture Earthlies series, I needed to simplify for a bit. Thus, the Pumpkinhaus Prims were born!

Sally is the younger of the two sisters. She has distant brown eyes, and a very tightly coiffed head of yellow hair. The bold, black embroidered basket on her chest and belly is a not-so-subtle reminder of her youth, and the days she spent in that gawd awful street gang. Sally still has a tendency to trip on flat surfaces, a bad habit since forever it seems. Mable has let herself go recently. She seems to have lost that spark of life... that joie de vivre. She reads People Magazine all too often (she says its for the crossword puzzles, but you and I can see right through that!) and, of course, Mable loves to tell Sally where it is exactly she has gone wrong in her life.

No comments:

Feed Me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails